top of page

Permanent Residency


Every year, hundreds of thousands of foreign nationals are granted permanent residence in Canada.  The majority seek permanent residency to one day gain Canadian citizenship. 
Similar to Canadian citizens, permanent residents are able to live, work, and study in Canada, as well as receive social benefits and protection under Canadian law.  

There are many ways to gain permanent residency into Canada:

Your PR Card

Once you receive your PR card, this will be used as your travel document when entering Canada through all ways of transportation.  Your PR card shows that you have Permanent Residence status in Canada. You need to make sure that your PR card does not expire while you are abroad or else you may not be able to re-enter Canada. ​
Normally, you are issued a PR card that is issued for 5 years. If you are eligible, you may be able to apply for Canadian Citizenship (ask us about eligibility) or renew your PR card.  

In order to keep your permanent residence status, you also need to have been in Canada for at least 730 days within the last 5 years. This does not mean that you can't leave Canada during those 5 years. You can keep track of your trips every time you travel.  This will be important as you will need to calculate this when applying for Canadian Citizenship. 

Losing your PR status

There are a few reasons why you may lose your PR status in Canada:

  • a removal order is made against you and comes into force

  • an adjudicator determines you are no longer a permanent resident after an inquiry or Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) appeal  

  • you voluntarily give up your PR status 

  • you become a Canadian Citizen 

We have years of experience and knowledge.
Contact Us Today to discuss your permanent residence case . 

  • Instagram - Black Circle
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn - Black Circle
bottom of page